While we normally wouldn’t endorse breaking out the bottle of whiskey in the morning, this great mash-up of a PB&J with French toast makes for an indulgent treat, and it’s really the flavor of the whiskey we are after, not the alcohol. Sure to be a favorite with grown-ups, it can easily be modified to omit the whiskey for kids. Using the method described will produce a PB&J French toast that is crispy on the outside with a moist center of PB&J goodness. If you prefer a dryer French toast simply prepare the French toasts first and then build the sandwiches with the Crofter’s Organic fruit spread and nut butter, warming briefly in oven to make sure the PB&J filling is nice and warm.
- Crofter’s Organic® fruit spread of your choice (we used Four Fruit Premium Spread)
- Organic peanut butter or nut butter such as almond
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 2 cups milk or dairy alternative (2 ¼ cups if omitting whiskey)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Powdered sugar and syrup (maple recommended)
- 8-12 slices bread
- Butter for cooking French toast
- In a bowl whisk together whiskey, milk (or milk alternative), egg yolks, whole eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon
- Prepare the bread slices as you would for a standard PB&J by spreading the Crofter’s Organic® fruit spread and nut butter on the bread and assembling as sandwiches.
- Pour the batter into a shallow baking dish and place the assembled PB&J sandwiches into the batter. Allow the sandwiches to soak until well absorbed, turning the sandwiches over at least once.
- If cooking for a larger group prepare your oven as a warmer by preheating oven to 200°F (or follow alternative baking instructions). Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter to coat skillet. Cook the French toast in batches, about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Once cooked transfer to oven warmer or serve dusted with powdered sugar and syrup if desired.
More Crofter's Goodness & Product Info Here