Do you ever find yourself having a ball of a time with your family and think: if only I could freeze this moment in time! We hear you, and like a special fairy godmother you never knew you had, we’ve found the perfect solution to make your wishes come true!
By recycling your used Crofters Organic jars, you and your family can make individual time capsules filled with your favorite memories to ensure those moments you hold most dear will never get away from you. Simply have everyone collect mementos from the moments they enjoyed and would like to remember in the years to come. What’s really fun is to have everyone share what they’re putting in their time capsule and why – it makes it that much more special and memorable.
We love projects that bring loved ones closer together and on top of that, this easy DIY idea is incredibly fun to make!
You can decide together what year you would like to open them again, and stow them away and out of sight until then. Or, like we did, place them front and center as part of the décor. If you have ones that are very little you will want to be sure they are hidden somewhere safe, as they often get excited and can’t resist the temptation of opening them before its due! Can we really blame them though? Time capsules are so much fun!
We love this project because it brings so much joy in the long-term for your family, and lets you capture those happy memories to keep frozen in time. This project allows everyone to customize their own capsule. To make them, here is what you will need:
Empty Crofter’s Organic jar with lid
Various colors of acrylic paint
String or twine (for decoration)
Small name tags (or cut some yourself from paper)
Small keepsakes like letters, postcards, photographs, currency, concert tickets, souvenirs, etc.
- Clean the empty Crofter’s jar by removing labels and residue. Tip: fill the jar with hot water and let sit for a few minutes before carefully peeling the labels off
- Remove remaining label residue using a scouring pad and soapy water
- Paint the lid of the jar with the color(s) of your choice, and set aside on a paper towel to dry. If the design of the cap is still visible through the paint, add a second coat of paint
- While the paint is drying, cut a length of string long enough to wrap around the neck of the jar a few times.
- If you have name tags ready, write down the names of the people whose keepsakes will be kept in the capsule, as well as a “Do not open until” date. Or use construction paper to cut out a name tag to the shape you desire
- Cut a small hole at the top of the name tag that is big enough to fit the string or twine through and then feed the string through the hole.
- Tie the string to the neck of the jar and create a bow
- Fill the jar with small keepsakes, souvenirs, or any other small objects, which have meaning to you
- Once the lid is dry, close the jar, and voila! You now have a capsule which you can hide somewhere in the house, or bury somewhere in the yard
When the year that you have stated on your capsule comes, find your jars and open them with your family to bring back happy memories, and share stories with those that are dear to you. It’s a project you’ll be glad to have done together!
YOUR TURN: How does your family like sharing special moments together? We would love to know what items your family plans to put into their time capsule. Leave a comment and rate this easy DIY idea, as it helps us to continuously improve them for you. We love seeing what you come up with so take a picture and use the hashtag #CroftersOrganic on Instagram!
Interested in trying out some of our healthy recipes that incorporate our USDA Organic NON-GMO verified Fair Trade cane sugar fruit spreads? Head on over to our recipes page on our website!More Crofter's Goodness & Product Info Here