We absolutely love french toast, but what we’re not so in love with all the calories and sugar that it comes with. So what’s the solution? We’ve got the perfect recipe to satisfy your french toast craving without the added guilt – and its made especially for busy, health-conscious moms just like you.
Our wild blueberry jam-stuffed french toast recipe contains much less sugar than other alternatives and it’s a perfect Sunday morning breakfast dish – yet it’s also simple enough to attempt on a weekday morning! The secret to its deliciousness? The addition of nature’s sweetener like the Fair Trade cane sugar that is used in the Crofter’s Organic Wild Blueberry Premium Spread—less calories per serving while sweetened to perfection! We also encourage you to bake, instead of fry the toast, making it slightly healthier.
We must advise you to proceed with caution though, because your kids will be begging you for more again and again!
Here is what you will need to make this delicious breakfast treat:
- 4-5 free range eggs
- ⅓ cup milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 loaf sturdy whole wheat bread
- Maple syrup
- Crofter’s Organic Wild Blueberry Premium Spread
- Preheat the oven to 290°F
- Mix together the eggs, milk (or non-dairy alternative) and cinnamon
- Pour into a rectangular roasting pan with high sides
- Slice the loaf of bread into 1 ½ - 2 inch slices
- Using a sharp knife cut a pocket into one side of each slice being careful not to cut through the other side. Move the knife around a bit to create a pocket.
- Spoon 1 – 2 tablespoons of Crofter’s Wild Blueberry Premium Spread into each slice making sure it is evenly spread within the pocket.
- Place jam-stuffed slices into the pan with the egg mixture. Let the slices sit in the mixture for a few minutes to soak before flipping them so the other side can also soak in the mixture. Repeat the soaking process to make sure each slice is well soaked.
- Line a rectangular baking pan with deep sides with parchment paper and place the soaked bread slices onto the parchment paper.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in the preheated oven
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking check the toast to make sure it is getting golden brown. If you wish to crisp up the toast a bit remove the foil and broil on low for a few minutes, keeping a close eye on the toast to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- When toasted to satisfaction remove from oven and slice each toast in half and serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup, and dust with powdered sugar if desired
YOUR TURN: Now that our love affair with french toast is out in the open, we’re curious to learn what ingredients you use to create your perfect weekend breakfast! Let us know what you think when you give this recipe a go! Leave a comment and rate it, as it helps us to continuously improve recipes for you. We love seeing what you come up with so take a picture and use the hashtag #CroftersOrganic on Instagram
Love this recipe and want to make more from the Crofter’s Organic cookbook? Download one of our FREE recipe books here!More Crofter's Goodness & Product Info Here